How do I connect to a hidden Wi-Fi network in Windows 10?
In this article, we will see how to connect to any Wi-Fi network, hidden or not.
Hidden Wi-Fi networks, technically those that do not send their name, by their nature cannot be accessed in the usual way. They are designed to be hidden from view by most users. When you turn on Wi-Fi in Windows 10, you won’t see this type of network in Available Networks, but you can still connect to it.
So, how do you connect to a hidden Wi-Fi network in Windows 10?
What is a hidden Wi-Fi network?
Hidden Wi-Fi networks are wireless networks that are configured not to send their SSID (Wi-Fi name). These types of networks do not appear in the Wi-Fi section of your device on Android, Windows, iOS, etc.
Joining a hidden Wi-Fi network is not enough to know your password. You need to know the network name, Wi-Fi security type, encryption type, and password. To connect to it, you need to ask your network administrator for this information.
How do I connect to a hidden network in Windows 10?
To connect to a hidden wireless network in Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Click the icon Wireless in the lower right corner of the taskbar.
- choose Network and Internet settings.
- Then click Remote connection in the left navigation pane, and then click Set up a new connection.
- In the window Set up a connection or network, choose Manually connect to a wireless network and click Next.
- Enter Network name, Security type, Encryption type and Security key (password).
- Check the boxes Start this connection automatically and Connect even if the network does not send its name.
- Click Next, and the computer automatically connects to the Wi-Fi network.
If you’re having trouble connecting to the network, you can temporarily reveal the network’s SSID, connect to it, and hide it again.
Hidden Wi-Fi networks add a bit of security to the connection process that doesn’t hinder an efficient user. Regardless of the device, connecting to a hidden network can be tricky because it does not follow the normal procedure.