Kexit, or kernel extensions, extend the basic functionality of the Darwin kernel in macOS. They are analogous to Windows drivers and allow the kernel to communicate with computer hardware. In most cases, these files are maintenance-free. But if you have problems or create a hackintosh, you may need to play with a kext or two.
Where can we find Kexts?
You can find kexes in two places on your Mac. Most reside in the “System / Library / Extensions” directory, which is the kexts root directory. Some are also in the “/ Library / Extensions” folder, but this is less common.
You can identify files by their .kext extension and extension style icon.
There are two ways to remove Kextin. The first is to use the Terminal command
1. Specify the kext to be deleted. Definitely make sure you are right. Removing a critical kext on a system can cause major problems, and kext names are often secret.
2. Open Terminal and type the following command:
Be sure to replace “kext.kext” with the kext file name. For example, if the name of the kext to be deleted is “AppleIntelE1000e.kext”, the command would be as follows:
3. Enter the administrator password and press Enter.
If this doesn’t work, you can also force the removal of kext using
1. Use the following Terminal command to delete the following text file:
Be sure to replace “kext.kext” with the kext file name. For example, if the name of the kext to be deleted is AppleIntelE1000e.kext, the command would be:
2. Enter the administrator password and press Enter.
3. Restart the computer.
Automatic installation of Kexts
Installing cookies is not as easy as removing them. This can be done manually, but using a kext installer such as KextBeast is much easier. KextBeast was created for use in Hackintoshes, but it works just as well on Vanilla Mac.
1. Download KextBeast. If you don’t already have a free account at tonymacx86.com, you’ll need to create an account to download the file.
2. Transfer the kext file to be installed to your desktop. The program works automatically with all kext files in the ~ / Desktop directory, so make sure you have the correct one.
Related: How to upload YouTube videos to macOS
3. Open KextBeast and click “Continue”.
4. Click ‘Continue’ again.
5. Select the system boot drive as the installation destination and click “Continue”.
6. Select the check box next to “/ System / Library / Plug-ins” or “/ Library / Plug-ins” depending on where kext is installed. If you don’t know what to choose, select “/ System / Library / Extensions”.
8. Click ‘Continue.’
9. Enter the administrator password and click “Install software”.
10. Wait for the installation to complete and click “Close”.
11. Restart the computer.
Manual installation of Kexts
Kexts can also be installed manually. However, it’s a heavier process, and your Mac really doesn’t like you installing such cookies.
1. Drag and drop your kext file to “/ System / Library / Extensions”.
2. Click “Authenticate”.
3. Enter the administrator password.
4. Open Terminal and use the command
sudo kextload kext.kext to download the kext file you just copied. Be sure to replace “kext.kext” with the kext file name.
5. Enter the administrator password.
6. Restart the computer.
You don’t have to play kexes too often. If you need to remove kext, you can easily remove it using Terminal. And if you need to install kext, a simple process with KextBeast.
For MacOS maintenance, you may sometimes need help deleting files that will not be deleted as usual.