How to blur pictures on a Mac
There are risks involved in uploading a photo to the web. Your photo may contain sensitive information or a picture of someone you don’t want others to see. The good news is that you can easily blur images before sending them online. To achieve this, there are dozens of Mac applications available. Here’s how you can easily and quickly blur images on your Mac using Skitch or the built-in Images app.
Blur images with Skitch
Part of the famous Evernote product family, Skitch is a great product that everyone should have on their computer.
1. Start by launching Skitch if you have already downloaded or received it Mac App Store.
3. Look for “Pixelate” on the left side of the vertical toolbar application, the second last option. You can also identify it by a blurry or pixelated icon.
4. Drag the mouse cursor around the area to be shuffled. It works like a square or a rectangle, and you can return to each blurred area multiple times to be 100% sure that nothing is visible.
5. After blurring all areas of the photo that you want to hide, there are two ways to save your work:
- “File -> Export” and then select on your Mac’s hard drive where you want to save the image.
- Look at the bottom center of Skitch for the tab type option. Click this area and drag and drop it to a file folder, on the desktop, or anywhere you want to save the image.
Both methods work in exactly the same way, so the image will not look different if you use one method instead of the other.
Skitch makes it really easy to blur images on a Mac. However, if downloading a separate application is not right for you, there is another method that works with the preinstalled Photos application.
Blur images with Images
To make the images transparent (mean redness!), Using the Images app does not “blur” the image in the same way as the Skitch method. Instead, you can use the editing features in Photos to “fix” an image and delete sensitive or unwanted information. Let’s get started.
1. To get started, open the Photos app preinstalled on your Mac. The app must be on your cover or accessible via Mission Control by pressing F4 with the keyboard.
2. Find the photo you want to edit in the application, or go to File -> Import to add a new photo. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop any photo from your hard drive directly into the app.
3. Double-click the image so that the “Edit” button appears in the upper right corner of the edit. When the edit screen appears, look for the “Touch Up” option in the middle of the right edge of the application.
4. Using the Edit tool, drag the mouse icon over any part of the image that you want to hide. You can increase or decrease the size of the pointer to cover more or less the image. While Skitch’s operation is actually unclear, the Retouch option is more of a bug.
If you really want to remove something from an image, Skitch is probably the most popular option. However, these photos are also free and available instantly on your Mac, making them an easy choice to get the job done.
As you can see, blurring images on a Mac is pretty easy. If Skitch isn’t your favorite app and the Images app isn’t something you want to use, apps like SnagIt can do a very similar job. If you want to edit videos instead, check out the best video editing software on your Mac here.