How to fix a CPU fan that is not running on a Windows 10 computer
Whatever the computer hardware heats up. It warms up depending on how you use it, for example if you type a word processor, it warms up, but if you play the game, it gets hot, and if you have too many tabs open in Chrome, your system reaches supernova.
To prevent the system from overheating, the fans are installed in the system frame. They trigger a rise in temperature and ignite if the system is too hot.
The processor fan does not rotate
If the CPU fan is not working, this is a serious concern. The system overheats and shuts down in response or the hardware is damaged.
Before you troubleshoot a fan, you need to know that it is not meant to work all the time. It also works at different speeds. It may not need to be run (your system is not so hot) or it may run but at a slow speed (the system is hot but not hot). You can perform a few basic checks to see what happens.
- Stop the system. If it is battery-powered, plug it into a power source and turn it on. The fans run when the system starts as part of a basic hardware check. Listen carefully to the fans.
- Shut down the system and switch to battery power if possible. Turn on the system and listen carefully to the sound of the fans.
- Boot the system and try to run as heavy an application as you can, for example, run the game with a recording program such as OBS. Check if the added load fans are working. They should ideally start working, but if they don’t start after five minutes, reduce the load or else you could damage the system.
If the fan does not run during the above checks, there may be one of two things: the fans are not running or the temperature gauge that informs them when to start is not working.
Check the fan temperature trigger
The temperature that starts the fans to start may be set too high. Your system may be warming up, but not hot enough for the fans to work. There is an easy way to check this and check if the system temperature sensor is working or not.
- Charge, install and run HWiNFo.
- Click on the sensors on the main application screen.
- Click on it fan button at the bottom in a new window that opens.
- Select the active fan (some systems have only one fan, while others may have two or three).
- Click Configure the user guide.
- choose PCH sensor.
- Enter low temperature, for example 15 or 10 that your system is sure to touch even if you use it for light work.
- Enter fan speed to something high so you can hear it work.
- Click OK to return to the main window.
- Click on it blue cross to save and apply changes.
- Use your system and Check that the fans start. If so, all you have to do is change the trigger temperature.
Check the temperature sensor
If the fans do not work even after lowering the cut-out temperature, check that the temperature sensors are working. You need an app for this.
- Charge, install and Start Speedfan.
- Mene Readings tab and check the temperature of the processor and GPU cores.
- If you i don’t see the reading it is entirely possible tthe sensor does not work.
- If you see reading, then the problem is with the fan not rotating.
At this point, it is more than likely that you have a hardware problem. It can be one of the following;
- A damaged power supply who is unable to operate the fans.
- the fans are damaged or blocked with dust and can no longer run.
- the temperature sensor does not work.
To solve these problems, it is best to support the system in fixes. If you are familiar with the internal components of your computer, you can inspect those components yourself and replace any damaged ones.
Fans are usually not easily damaged, but power problems can often short them out. These are cheap hardware, so replacing them is not as expensive as repairing or replacing a temperature sensor. In some cases, the sensors cannot be repaired or replaced and the CPU must be replaced.