If you want to record webcam video and audio to disc, you can use macOS’s built-in QuickTime Player or the open source VLC Player. QuickTime is a fast but rudimentary option, while VLC allows for better control.
Use QuickTime Player to record webcam video
QuickTime comes with each Mac as the default video pointer, but it can also record. You can quickly and easily record your webcam’s video feed with QuickTime Player.
1. Open QuickTime Player from the Applications folder.
2. Click the “Finish” button to close the window asking if you want to open a new file.
3. Select “New Movie Recording” from the “File” menu in the menu bar.
4. A new QuickTime window will open showing a preview of what your webcam will save when you click Save. You can adjust the camera to make sure everything looks good.
5. If you don’t want to record audio with your Mac’s default audio input, click the drop-down arrow next to the Record button. This displays a drop-down menu that allows you to select from a list of available audio inputs.
6. When you are ready to go, click the red Save button.
The calculation starts showing the recording length and file size. You will also see the live stream of the video on your screen during recording.
7. When the recording is complete, click the gray “Stop” button. This is in the same place where the “Save” button was before.
8. Now that the recording is complete, the finished file will appear in its own QuickTime Player window. To save a new file, select “Save” from the “File” menu.
9. Select the location where you want to save the file and click the “Save” button.
Record video from your webcam with VLC
QuickTime is a great choice for fast webcam recordings. If you need advanced settings, you can check the open source VLC player.
1. Install VLC developer’s website.
2. Open the VLC Applications folder.
3. Select “Open Capture Device” from the “File” menu in the menu bar.
4. Select the “Video” and “Audio” check boxes. If necessary, select the appropriate audio and video input options from the associated drop-down menus.
5. Also select the “Send / Record:” check box to enable webcam video recording.
6. Click the “Settings …” button above “Open.”
7. Most of the magic of VLC happens in this pop-up. Here you can adjust various settings that affect video recording.
8. Click the drop-down menu next to the encapsulation method and select the desired storage wrapper. If you want a .mov file, select “Quicktime” as shown below.
9. Click the Browse… button next to the File text box to select a suitable storage location for the video file.
10. To see your recording as it is, select the Show feed locally check box.
11. If you want to compress or encode the video file after saving, use the encoding options in the middle of the window.
12. When you are finished, click the “OK” button in the lower right corner.
13. Click the “Open” button in the lower right corner to start recording.
14. When the recording is complete, click the “Stop” button in the lower left corner.
Recording is quick and easy with QuickTime Player for capturing video and audio from your webcam. If you want to bring out more advanced options, you can use your camcorder with VLC to record your camcorder.