How to recover a missing OneDrive icon from the Windows 10 taskbar
Anyone with a Windows 10 computer is probably familiar with OneDrive, whether they like it or not. Built into Windows 10, this service has a basic level of storage and provides a seamless way to sync your files to the cloud, especially from a Microsoft device.
In Windows 10, the OneDrive icon usually appears on the taskbar. This icon is a gateway to OneDrive cloud storage, although it is known to go and go from time to time.
The OneDrive icon missing from the taskbar is due to various reasons. Various fixes are discussed here.
Activate the icon in the notification area
The following method works for missing taskbar icons.
1. Right-click the taskbar and select Taskbar Options.
2. In the taskbar settings window, scroll to the notification area. Click “select the icon that appears on the taskbar.”
3. Check the toggle switch next to Microsoft OneDrive. If it is off, be sure to change it to On.
Uninstall OneDrive completely and reinstall it
It’s one thing to reinstall OneDrive in the usual way using the “Applications and Features” list, but you really need to install a new OneDrive that doesn’t cause any problems or bugs from the previous installation. through the register.
1. Press Ctrl + R and type “regedit” in the box.
2. Navigate to the following registry directory:
3. Here, right-click the “DisableFileSyncNGSC” registry entry, click Edit, and type “0” in the Value data box.
4. Click OK and close Registry Editor.
5. Next, open a command prompt as an administrator and type the following commands on the different lines:
OneDrive should now be reinstalled, which fixes the missing icon problem.
Display the OneDrive icon
The problem can often be just the hidden OneDrive icon. This is common in Windows 10, especially when there are too many icons on the taskbar. To check if your system has a OneDrive icon, click the Show hidden icons icon on the taskbar. It is the up arrow icon to the left of the taskbar. This will reveal all the hidden icons. If your OneDrive was hidden, it will appear in a small pop-up window. In my case, as shown in the image below, OneDrive is not hidden.
If the above solutions have not worked for you, you can try the third step. Resetting OneDrive fixes the problem if it’s due to a bad OneDrive cache. Follow these steps to reset OneDrive.
1. Press Win + R Open the Run window. Copy and paste the text below and click OK.
2. Wait approximately two minutes for the OneDrive icon to appear. If not, repeat the process using the path below.
This fix should redisplay the OneDrive icon.
Check the policy settings
If the reset did not work, the last step is to check the policy settings. Sometimes this can be a problem caused by third-party applications or tracking programs. These often affect the operating system and can disable the OneDrive icon. If necessary, check the policy settings.
To check the Windows 10 Group Policy Editor and follow these steps to find and fix changes caused by OneDrive third-party programs.
gpedit.msc In the Run window.
2. Go to “Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components”. Double-click OneDrive in the right pane.
3. Right-click “Prevent OneDrive from Saving Files” and click Edit.
4. Make sure that the policy setting is set to Off or Off. Click Apply and OK.
5. Restart the computer and the problem should be resolved.
While the missing OneDrive icon can be frustrating for many, it can be easily fixed in one of the ways above. If you’re looking for a new way to navigate Windows, check out a list of the best options for Windows Explorer. You may also experience missing icons and other issues due to a bad Windows update, so see the list of the latest Windows 10 update issues for more information. If you want the Windows 10 taskbar icons to be centered like Windows 11, follow this guide.