If you happen to accidentally turn off your computer while pressing the power button, there is an easy way to disable that button (or have it do something else) in Windows 10. You can also control the power button. in standby, if your computer has one.
Here’s how to do it.
To change how your computer’s power button works in Windows 10, you need to go to Control Panel.
- First, run the Control panel by opening the menu Start and typing control panel, then press Entrance or click on the Control Panel icon.
- Top right, in the menu View By, select Category.
- In the Control panel, click on Hardware and audio.
- Locate the section Power Options and click on Change the behavior of the power buttons.
You will then see a window where it is possible to adjust what happens when you press the power or sleep buttons on your computer.
Under Power and sleep button settings, click on the drop-down menu next to When I press the on / off button.
In the menu When I press the on / off button, you will see several choices. Here’s what all the options do:
- Do nothing : When you press the power button, nothing happens.
- Eve : Your PC goes into low power sleep mode, but stays on.
- Hibernate (this mode is also called Hibernation): Your PC saves the state of your system memory to disk and turns off. Your session can be resumed later when you turn your computer back on.
- Stop : This option closes Windows and turns off your PC. (This is the default value).
- Turn off the screen : Your screen turns off, but your PC continues to operate.
To avoid losing your job if you press the power button, choose an option other than Stop. This will prevent accidental shutdowns. If you don’t want to be interrupted by pressing the power button, choose Do nothing.
- To finish, click on Save Changes and close it Control panel.
advice : to change the action of your computer’s sleep button, choose an option from the drop-down list When I press the sleep button.
The next time you press the power button on your PC, it will not turn off automatically. If you chose Do nothing, you can always shut down your PC if necessary by choosing Stop in the start menu.