Mapping a WebDAV Player in Windows
Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) is an HTTP extension that provides a collaborative way to edit and manage files on a remote web server. Here’s how you can map a WebDAV drive in Windows so you can access your remote files directly in Windows Explorer.
To connect to the WebDAV directory in Windows, you need the URL of the WebDAV site, the login information for your WebDAV account, and the name for the shortcut or login. All three allow you to map WebDAV by installing its folder on a mapped drive so that you can view, edit, or delete files from a remote web server on your computer.
Mapping WebDAV Player in Windows 10
1. Open File Explorer on your computer and right-click “This Computer”.
2. Click on “Map network drive …”
Alternatively, you can also use the “Map Network Drive” drop-down list on the Computer tab in Windows Explorer. Select “Network Drive” from the list.
3. In the new dialog box, type the drive letter you want to connect to and the folder where you want to add or edit WebDAV files on your local computer.
4. If you click “Browse” next to the folder ad and you get the message “Network discovery is disabled. Computers and network devices are not visible…”, this means that you must allow the network to be found in the Network and Sharing Center.
To change the setting, go to “Settings -> Network and Internet -> Status -> Network and Sharing Center”.
Select “Change advanced sharing settings.”
In the Private and Guest / Public sections, click Enable Network Discovery. Then tap Save Changes.
5. Select the “Reconnect” and “Connect with different IDs” checkboxes. Selecting the “Reconnect online” check box restores the WebDAV connection when you restart your computer.
6. Click the “Log in to a website that you can use to save your documents and photos” link.
7. Click Next.
8. Now click “Select a custom network location.”
9. Click Next.
10. Enter the URL of your domain in the Internet or Web address field ending in the WebDAV directory.
11. Enter your WebDAV username and password.
12. Click OK. Enter the name of this network location is already filled in, but it can be changed.
13. Click Next, and then click Finish.
In File Explorer, the WebDAV folder is displayed as a mapped drive. You can now add, edit, or delete files or directories through Windows Explorer.
What to do when you can’t connect to a WebDAV directory
Observe: If you have trouble logging on to the WebDAV directory, update the basic authentication level in the Windows registry.
1. Right-click the Start button, and then click Run.
regedit and press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor.
3. Go to the directory path:
4. Find the value “BasicAuthLevel”. The default value is 2, but if not, right-click and select Edit, and then go to step 2.
What if you can’t access the WebDAV folder?
Even if you have successfully mapped the WebDAV player in Windows, it does not mean that you can use the content it contains. The most common reason is that the folder is stored on the server using an older version of Windows.
This also happens if you are not using the latest version of Windows. For example, if you used Windows XP and the folder contains more than 1000 files, you may not see the file you need.
Another problem occurs when you restart your computer, and you are not automatically reconnected. This usually means that the WebClient service is either disabled or set to manual. Click Start, locate Services, and select a result.
Then scroll down until you find the WebClient, right-click on it and select “Properties”.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and press Apply to apply the changes.
Were you able to connect your WebDAV player to Windows Explorer and access your remote files in Windows 10? Share your experience in the comment below.
Don’t like the look of Windows 10 File Explorer? Learn how to make it look like Windows 7. You can also easily hide OneDrive if it’s not the item you’re using.